KARL ein KARL
KARL ein KARL
Peter K. Frey
Im Heugarten 45
Tel: +41 (0)44 948 06 44
Fax: +41 (0)44 948 06 44
KARL ein KARL, an ensemble consisting of three musicians with very different musical careers, was formed in 1982. Peter K Frey traversed the characteristic development of a typical jazz musician from swing through to free-jazz. Michel Seigner was, following his classical education, an active composer of film and theatre music who, in addition to his interests in contemporary music, also cultivated a partiality to rock and improvised music. Alfred Zimmerlin, accomplished composer and musicologist, entertained audiences not only with his freely improvised musical performances but also with his contemporary compositions.
KARL ein KARL has remained unchanged in its formation for over twenty years. Its establishment saw the trio radically challenge anew the grammar of the art of improvisation, leading to the development of an idiomatic tonal language. Soon after, however, the ensemble expanded its field of activity to become a collaborative team of composers and, from that moment on, all compositional decisions were made together. It was possible in this way to produce works which touched, and also soon crossed, borders with other media; of these the following eight are to be emphasised:
1. Gramelot (1985). An LP with solely live recordings.
2. Nine to Nine (1987). A composition for the 'string field' sextet (six string instruments) which lasted 24 hours. A part of the of the composition, based on a very tight rhythmical concept, is computer controlled. The world premiere was preformed in Burgdorf. Further performances with versions adjusted respectively to the situation were found in Zurich (tram depot Tiefenbrunnen) in 1988, in Miami USA as a contribution to the New Music America Festival in 1988, in Zurich (Helmhaus) in 1996 and in Baden AG (Forum Claque) in 1998.
3. Karls Fest (1991). A media-specific production which uses the possibilities of the medium of CD. The material consists of samples, studio and live recordings. Composed and improvised parts are integrated into the composition.
4. Projekt Stans (1992). A spatial computer installation with electronic sounds and instrumental music at the cheese warehouse in Stans. One variation on this concept was to be found in 1993 in Podewil (Berlin) and another version in the 'Kaskadenkondensator' in Basel.
5. Genaugenauf (1995). Scenic radio play based on texts by Konrad Bayer with the two actors Peter Schweiger and Wolfram Berger. This piece consists of an electronic tape with computer controlled speech sounds, recitation, read and scenic texts and improvised music. It has been performed around thirty times at the 'Theater an der Winkelwiese', in Feldkirch and in Aarau.
6. Ja (1996). Media-specific CD which, with completely different material, builds upon the alliance between language and music first developed in Genaugenauf.
7. Millennium (1999/2000). A performance during the turn of the year 1999/2000 which made audible the bond between the time structure of the past 1999 years and the development of human population on earth.
8. Cooperation with Ernst Thoma on the interactive internet composition LOOKUP - ÜBERDIR.
During the past twenty years KARL ein KARL have performed numerous concerts in clubs and other concert venues partly broadcast by television and radio. The most important include:
New Music America Festival, Miami FL
Illinger Burgfest für Neue Musik
Dresdener Tage der Zeitgenössischen Musik
Schauspiel-Haus Wien: 'Ein Fest für Konrad Bayer' with Peter Schweiger, Wolfram Berger, A.C. Artmann, Gerhard Rühm, HK Gruber and musicians of the 'Vienna Art Orchestra'
Tagung des Instituts für Neue Musik und Musikerziehung in Darmstadt
Amica Bunker Festival, New York
Internationales Bachfest, Schaffhausen
Scharf – Unscharf Festival, Zurich
Internationale Tagung für Improvisation, Lucerne
15 years of the Allmend Jazz Club, Oberengstringen: A festival for Swiss jazz
Members:Peter K. Frey
Michel Seigner (guitar)Alfred Zimmerlin